tirsdag den 5. januar 2016

"Wildflower" by Drew Barrymore



Title: Wildflower
Author: Drew Barrymore
Publication Year: 2015
Publisher: Dutton
Pages: 288
My Rating: 3/5 stars

This is Drew Barrymore's autobiography on her life from she was a little child of 11-months, already auditioning, till she's a 40-year-old mom. In the beginning of the book, Drew writes that she's always dreamed of becoming a writer, so this is a dream come true for her. Furthermore, she claims that she was asked to write 'a memoir' on her life, but somehow she felt like that was too deep and too personal. Instead she decided to write what she call 'small anecdotes' on her life, and that turned into "Wildflower". 

This autobiography both gave me what I was hoping for, but it also disappointed me in some parts. I was interested to read this because I admire Drew Barrymore and think she must have had quite an extraordinary life so far. Also, I had to get it because of that stunning cover - let's be honest! 

This book was a mix of different chapters. They differ in length, content, honesty, and chronology. I didn't really mind because it kept the book fresh in a way, but I did feel like there was an inconsistency in how deep Drew goes into her emotions. Some chapters are bare anecdotes (which was also her purpose), while others are very emotional. For instance, there are two chapters that are letters for her two children, and for me that became a bit too personal. However, I loved her chapter about Flossy and her feelings for that dog. 

All in all, I do feel like I got an insight into Drew's life which has been nothing but ordinary. I love reading books like these that allow for me to look into a person's life which is so very different from my own, because they always leave an impact on me and widen my horizon. Despite my small disappointments, I still think that this is definitely worth a read; and once you've finished it, you can always stare admiringly at the cover :)

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar