søndag den 3. januar 2016

"Pet Sematary" by Stephen King



Title: Pet Sematary
Author: Stephen King
Publication Year: 1983
Publisher: Doubleday
Pages: 374
My Rating: 3.5/5 stars

"Pet Sematary" is the story of Louis and his family who move into a house near a pet cemetery. To begin with, Louis is unclear as to what this cemetery is all about and why it's there, but one night a friend of his, Jud, decides to take him there and show Louis the place and its capacity. From then on, strange things start happening in Louis' and his family's lives, and if you know of Stephen King and his books, you know that it's going to be scary...

Stephen King always delivers when it comes to scary story, scary behaviour and scary descriptions, and Pet Sematary is no exception. It actually took me quite some years to read this; not because it was bad or too scary, I just happened to read a little piece at a time and then put it down. However, the end of the book I devoured because I needed to know what was happening. Stephen King is excellent at creating a climax towards the end that glues your eyes to the pages. 

There is one brilliant twist in this book which I was very fascinated with. I'm obviously not going to say what it is, but to me it stood out as a gripping way of writing a story. King's prose is very straight-forward and might not be the most lyrical or beautiful of all, but he definitely knows how to come up with and deliver a story brilliantly. 

While this book was scary, it didn't at any point scare me as much as it seems to have scared other readers, hence my rating. I still very much enjoyed it, though, and I'm happy to say that even after having read this book, I still love my cat as much as I did before I read it :)

Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar