fredag den 25. december 2015

"My True Love Gave to Me" by Stephanie Perkins



Title: My True Love Gave to Me
Author: Stephanie Perkins (editor), Holly Black, Ally Carter, Matt de la Pena, Gayle Forman, Jenny Han, David Levithan, Kelly Link, Myra McEntire, Rainbow Rowell, Laini Taylor, Kiersten White
Publication Year: 2014
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Pages: 336
My Rating: 3/5 stars

Being in the mood for Christmas I decided to pick up this compilation of 12 different short stories that all are ensured to put you in the mood for the holidays. At first, I was thrilled with this book. I loved all the cute stories, and I loved how they got me in the mood for Christmas. It's funny how I was looking especially forward to Rainbow Rowell's and Gayle Forman's stories, but it was Matt de la Pena and Stephanie Perkins that put a smile on my face (despite the fact that I was surprised by the fact that Perkins' characters were supposed to be 19-year-olds?). Yes, some of the stories were a little bit too unrealistic, or too simple, but I still enjoyed them. 

Then came Ally Carter's story and that's when things started falling apart. This story was highly unrealistic in my opinion, and it made me realize how all of the other stories are basically too good to be true. I stand by my first impression: That they are cute and get you in the mood for Christmas. They all leave an impression on you, whether it's a good, lasting one or a rather bad one. But the thing is that most of these stories are shallow and contain instal-love which I'm not a huge fan of. It seems like Stephanie Perkins asked for everyone to write a romance story with a happy ending, because apparently that's all people want to read for Christmas? I, at least, missed some depth to them. 




Ingen kommentarer:

Send en kommentar